Friday, March 12, 2010

It Was Seriously THISCLOSE To Being Disasterous

I was on my way home from work on Wednesday and was in a hurry because I had to get ready to head out of town for a conference that was beginning early Thursday morning. It was sprinkling and I was talking to my sister (I know...I know...) as I was driving on the interstate when it started raining much harder. I told Kellyn, "I'm gonna have to let you go. It's really starting to come down..." when I saw some motion up ahead of me on the interstate that quickly caught my attention.

Now picture this: This was a 3 lane interstate with wet roads. I was in the right lane, a semi truck was ahead of me just a bit in the middle lane, and a red car was up ahead of him just a bit more in the left lane. I saw the semi truck start braking and then I saw that the red car in front of him had started hydroplaning and had moved into the middle lane. The red car over corrected and then the back end of the red car got slammed by the semi truck. At that time, the red car spun around and started heading in my direction.

As in, the red car was headed straight towards me on the interstate traveling about 50 mph.

This was taking place just at the time that I was telling my sister that I needed to get off the phone. In fact, the last words I said were, “Oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh…”

And then my phone turned off.

I think if I had been in her shoes I would have been freaking out.

Have you ever had one of those times in your life when you are watching something take place in slow motion?

This was one of those times. I’m not kidding when I say that time literally stood still and call me crazy, but I firmly believe that God moved that red car aside just enough for me to be able to safely get out of the way without hitting anyone, because in all reality, that car should have hit me head on. Hard. It was even more of a miracle when you consider that I was traveling in rush hour traffic and I pulled into the exit lane on the interstate with barely a glance over my shoulder.

This whole incident took place in less than 5 seconds.

I was able to get my car into the stripped lane beside the exit ramp and park my car and quickly hit my OnStar button. My adrenaline was pumping so hard that I was just about to get out of my car and check on the driver of the red car before I realized that in this weather I could easily be hit by another car coming up behind the accident. As I was talking to OnStar, I saw that the semi truck had pulled over to the other side of the road and the driver was walking towards my car. It was pouring down rain and the trucker wasn’t carrying an umbrella. I motioned to him to come over to my car and I offered him my umbrella. He kindly refused and was just standing there in the rain so I asked him if he would like to sit down in my car to get out of the rain. He said something about not wanting to get my seat wet and I told him not to worry at all about that.

I moved a few things out of the way and he sat down and was able to talk with OnStar and the police from my car. I had no idea if the other driver was hurt, but after a minute the driver of the red car came up to my window thinking that I had been hit and found the truck driver sitting in my car. They talked for a minute and then the trucker and I were left sitting there waiting for the police to arrive.

As we were waiting he looked at me and said, “I want to thank you for stopping to help me. Nobody ever helps us truckers anymore.”

I said (as I was still shaking like a leaf), “I saw the whole thing happen. I couldn’t have left not knowing if someone was hurt, especially in this weather. I just thank God that none of us were hurt!”

His response, “People drive past us all the time after accidents without even giving it a passing thought. I appreciate you stopping.”

The police arrived about that time and the trucker got out to go see about his truck which he knew would have to be towed, especially considering the his right front tire was gone, and I sat there waiting to give the police my statement. I was pretty shaken up by that time because I had come to realize just how bad things could have been.

It was only by the grace of God that I wasn’t hit by the red car.

It was only by the grace of God that I didn’t hit anyone else.

It was only by the grace of God that nobody was hurt.

Imagine that; an accident in the pouring rain on the interstate with a semi truck and a small car during rush hour and no one got hurt. God had his hand all over that! I know without a shadow of a doubt that if God hadn't intervened in the path of the red car, I would have had a head on collision at 50 mph and it could have been very, very bad.

And as I drove off, my knees still knocking until I was able to get home and hug Jeremy and Jackson, a thought came into my head and it’s been floating around ever since;

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.
Hebrews 13:2


No, I don’t think the guy was an angel in disguise as a old trucker, but you never know. Stranger things have been known to happen. I'm just glad that I made his day somewhat brighter by stopping to help, and I've thanked God over and over for keeping me safe.

And yes, I’ve learned my lesson about talking on the cell phone and driving. Especially in the rain.

8 random thoughts:

Lianne said...

How scary! I'm so glad you were all okay! It is truly amazing to watch how God orchestrates things sometimes to protect those He has a greater plan for.

That's awesome that you were kind to the trucker. Your actions were a greater witness to him than any words could ever be.

Samantha said...

I am so glad everyone was okay! I'm a firm believer in the fact that if THE man can split a sea and turn water into wine - He can do just about anything.

And I thank you for helping out the trucker. I think we often dismiss those in need and it was a blessing to him, I am sure, that you stopped and helped him. It's wonderful when we can be angels to others.

Glad you are safe.

Mom said...

I am so very proud of you. Yes, God was, and is, watching over you. Again, you are a great witness for Christ. When you have helped someone in need, you have helped me (Jesus).

Pam said...

I'm glad you came home safe! Two words.. hands free! Do you have a hands free dealy on your cell phone? I only use the ear bud if I have to talk but prefer not to talk at all.

Candy Jones said...

I am so glad you are okay. It is an awesome story and testimony to God and to that truck driver.

Jenny said...

Thank goodness you didn't get hurt! I drove past that accident on the way home and that red car looked terrible. I just knew someone was hurt in that one. I'm glad to hear everyone was alright.

Kristen said...

Amy, you made me cry :)
I am so glad that God was watching over you all and that no one was hurt.
My dad is retired Air Force, When he retired, he decided he wanted to see a bit more of the country, and he bought an 18 wheeler & he went on the road.
Those truck drivers see so much, and yes, some are not as responsible as they should be, the same can be said about the rest of us who drive when tired or distracted.
So THANK YOU, for the kindness you showed to him. What a great witness you were to him with your actions :)

Rachel said...

WOW. Freaky. But what a miracle! I would still be shaking...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...