Monday, September 20, 2010

Who Knew Parenting Would Test Your Math Skills…

Jackson has been obsessed with numbers lately. It started innocently enough a few weeks ago and hasn’t slowed down at all! This wouldn’t be a big deal if I were any good at math, but his questions have kept me on my toes lately.

Jackson: “How old are you and Daddy?”

Me: “Daddy is 31, and I’m almost 30.”

Jackson: “How old is our house and Macy and Spiderman?”

Me: “7 years, 8 years and I have no clue!”

Jackson: Well……how much longer until I get 30?”

Me: “26 years.”

Jackson” “How much longer until I get 26?”

Me: “22 years.”

Jackson: “How much longer until I get 22?”

Me: “18 years.”

You see where this is going, right?

Jackson: “How much longer until I get 18?”

Me: “14 years.”

Jackson: “Well….how much longer until I get 14?”

Me: “10 more years.”

Jackson: “How much longer until I get 10?”

Me: “6 more years.”

Jackson: “How much longer until I get 6?”

Me: “2 more years.”

Jackson: “How much longer until I get 2?”

Me: “Jackson, you were already 2, now you are 4!”

Jackson: "Oh yeah! I forgot! Well, Mama, how old are the rocks and the trees and spider monkeys and our mailbox and my tennis shoes and Daddy’s car and the grass?”

Me: “Are you kidding?”

Jackson: “No. And how old did you say Daddy was again?”

Me: “I give up.”

It’s like the song that never ends, but with numbers. Who knew motherhood required subtraction skills?

2 random thoughts:

Pam said...

I think I would have been saying "a long time" pretty fast. Our favorite saying saying around here is "I was told there would be no math"...cuz my girl and I hate it. It really helps that the hubs has a minor in it for homework and all that stuff.

Rachel said...

That sounds like a conversation we could have any day of the week, for sure. Parenting MOST DEFINITELY tests your math skills!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...