Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Little Scare

I had my regulary scheduled OB visit around lunch on Monday. When I got there I got weighed as usual (+2 lbs for a total gain of 10 lbs) and then the nurse checked my blood pressure. It was 142/102 which is way out of normal for me. Usually I'm a perfect 120/80. The nurse asked if I was feeling okay and I commented that I was feeling fine. No headache, swelling, or anything else that would indicate a problem. She casually remarked that Dr. Lawhon would probably want to check me again before I left to see if it had come down.

So then I got taken into a room and wait for "the" check to see if I was dilated. My Dr. came in, and without getting all TMI with y'all, I'm just going to say that the check was extremely painful this time around. I had tears in my eyes by the time he was finished. At least he told me that I was dilated 1 1/2 cm so the pain wasn't for nothing. After my exam he started checking my reflexes which is something he has never done. He commented that because my BP was up, he wanted the nurse to check me out again. So I got dressed and went back down the hall for a recheck. I knew at this point, based on the pain that I had just been in, that my BP wasn't going to be any better, and I was right. I got 3 readings back to back that were 144/107, so off I went ot the OB triage center at the hospital for them to monitor me.

After I had blood drawn I was hooked up on the fetal monitor, BP monitor and contraction monitor for several hours. At first my BP was still high, but it gradually came down to normal for me. I am having contractions, but nothing too severe. I was sent home with no real special instructions, and I will follow up next week with my doctor if nothing changes before then.

So that's where I stand. I promptly came home and started nesting again. I still don't have my hospital bag packed, but Anderson's stuff and my toiletries are ready to go. I'm not about to chance going into labor without my makeup bag being ready!

Y'all have a great day!

2 random thoughts:

Esther said...

Scary! Keep us posted--I'm praying for you!

Pam said...

Yep..you'd better pack your bags. That is scary about the bp. I'm glad it returned to normal because that's just not something you want to be having when you're pg. Ouch on the getting checked. It always hurt when I had to have that done. Tears were common for me. Hope it doesn't become common for you cuz it's not any fun.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...