Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Midnight on Toomer’s Corner

549100_10151345753326356_1080646451_n[1]

This coming Saturday, Auburn University’s beloved landmark, the oaks at Toomer’s Corner, will be rolled for the last time before the 130+ year old trees are cut down after being poisoned by a lethal amount of herbicide back in 2010. I wrote about it back when it came to light in early 2011, and the wound is still as fresh as ever. As an Auburn graduate, I’m so sad that someone would intentionally destroy a landmark and tradition for another school. I’m all for rivalries, but this went beyond a rivalry. This was malicious, and thankfully the man responsible for this has been sentenced to 3 years in prison. It’s not nearly enough time in my opinion because he’ll be out of jail in 6 months, but at least the perpetrator has been brought to justice.

So this weekend Auburn fans will have one final chance to roll the trees before they are cut down on April 23rd. I can’t make it because Jackson has a baseball game, but I know that I won’t be alone with my thought that one man might have single handedly destroyed an Auburn tradition, but it was never possible for him to destroy the Auburn FAMILY. We might have to cut down our trees at Toomer’s Corner, but our roots go much deeper than that!

WARRRRRR EAGLE ALWAYS!!!!!!!

0 random thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...