Friday, October 04, 2013

Out With The Old, In With The New

Way back in the year of our Lord 1998, I was given a laundry basket filled to the brim with cleaning supplies as a high school graduation gift. It was a super gift because it was so incredibly useful. That laundry basket went with me to Auburn in the fall of 1998 as a freshman, moved with me to Birmingham when Jeremy and I got married, made the journey back to Prattville, then to our current home. The basket has made it's fair share of trips to and from the laundry room, to and from Mississippi as an extra suitcase for kids stuff, served as a "car" and "airplane" for two rowdy boys, and finally, after 15 years of faithful service, bit the dust the other day. It had been slowly wearing down for awhile now, but out of sheer loyalty I kept her around because I couldn't bear to throw her away. After she finally broke apart to a point I can't use her anymore to tote my laundry around the house, I had to call it quits. I went to Wal-Mart and found a new version, a laundry mistress of sorts, and Old Reliable has been replaced by a stylish newer model for only $7.98.
 
I'll never forget all her years of being a dutiful aid to my laundry escapades, but the times, they are a 'changing, and I'm not one to stand in the way of progress. Fairwell old friend, it's been nice knowing you....
 
 


1 random thoughts:

Pam said...

I love it. I have some things that shouldn't be sentimental but they are. :) Congrats on the start of a new laundry carrying/kid playing era.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...